Mosquito Control | Organic
Organic Mosquito Control for Your Yard
Source: Howard Garrett, also known as "The Dirt Doctor" is a local landscaper, arborist, and horticulturist known for educating the public of the benefits of organic landscaping and gardening.
- Empty standing water where possible.
- For standing water that can't be emptied, such as an ornamental pond, stock Gambusia fish (minnows that eat mosquito larvae) or use a Bti (Bacillus thuringiensis ‘israelensis') product such as Bactimos Briquettes.
- Spray for adult mosquitoes with garlic products orange oil and other plant oil or citronella.
- Use organic management to encourage birds, bats, dragonflies, and other beneficial insects.
- Use skin repellents that contain natural herbs such as aloe vera, citronella, eucalyptus, tea tree, and citrus oil.
- Bug light devices do not work! They kill more beneficials than the pests.
- Broadcast cedar granules on the ground where mosquitoes are a problem.