Restaurant and Bar Inspection Division
7901 Goforth Road (Directions)
Dallas, Texas 75238
Fax (214) 670-8330
8:00 am - 12:30 pm, 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm.
Restaurant and Bar Inspection Division aims to promote healthy people and healthy communities through education and regulation of food service establishments.
In the City of Dallas, there are nearly 6,000 "permitted" permanent food establishments, including restaurants, convenience stores, food and espresso carts, coffee shops, delis, grocery stores and schools; there are nearly 800 Mobile Food Units/ Kiosk; there are nearly 3000 Temporary Food Establishment inspections conducted annually (occurring mostly on weekends/holidays) including the State Fair of Texas, New Years Day, St. Patricks Day, Cinco de Mayo, Juneteenth, Taste of Dallas, and many other large and small events). All are inspected by a licensed sanitarian from the division.
On Wednesday, December 10, 2008 the Dallas City Council passed a
New Smoking Ordinance.
The new standards to the smoking ordinance took effect April 10, 2009.
Persons found to be in violation will face fines of $200 per offense.
- Mobile Food Vehicle Permitting/ Inspections
- Temporary Food Services Establishment Permitting/ Inspections
- Foodborne illness investigation/ Food Sample Collections and Analysis
- Central Business District Vending Permitting/ Inspections
- Enforce City Ordinances/ State Laws that relate to the sale and service of food and beverages
- Emergency Response – Manmade/ Natural Disasters
- Consumer Complaints/ Foodborne Investigations
- Food Safety Training and Education
- Restaurants/ Temporary Food Handlers
- Homeless Feeding Training / Audits
- Food Service Manager Certification Program
- Smoking Ordinance Enforcement
Type of Inspections Routine, Follow-up, Complaint, Temporary, and Mobile (unannounced)
- Routine Inspections – are conducted at least once every six months
- Follow-up Inspections – are conducted as a result of poor sanitation issues, low scores
- Complaints Inspections – General Sanitation/Hygienic Practices /Illness Investigation, Smoking and Other
- Temporary – the City of Dallas Office of Special Events provides a listing of public event being held involving food and we provide guidance and inspect
- Mobile – the various mobile food units are inspected annually with random inspections conducted during the year (Mobile Sweeps).
(All documents below are in Adobe PDF format unless noted otherwise.)
Restaurant Food Handler Training Class Schedule 2011
Restaurant Food Handler Certification Application
Restaurant Food Handler Brochure
Boarding Home Food Handler's Class
Provisions for Feeding the Homeless Brochure
Meal Provider Program Site
MLK Community Center
2922 MLK Blvd
Dallas, TX 75215
Contact: Patrick Jackson (214) 670-8526
Texas Food Establishment Rules (TFER) Rule Changes that Impact Operations of Food Establishments In the City of Dallas, effective
January 24, 2007
Food Establishment Permit
Food establishment permits are required for restaurants, bars, grocery stores, mobile food units, temporary food events and schools.
To obtain a permit to operate a food establishment, the following are needed: (1) a valid photo identification, (2) sales tax permit, and (3) a $300 application fee plus an additional $250 fee if plans are submitted for review. For additional information, contact the Restaurant and Bar Inspection Division between 8:00 am to 12:30 pm and 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm at
(214) 670-8083 or visit the office at: 7901 Goforth Rd,
Dallas, Texas 75238.
Complaints Concerning Restaurants
To report a possible food-borne illness or unsanitary condition at a restaurant or other food-related establishment, contact the Department of Code Compliance, Restaurant and Bar Inspection Division, between 8:00 am to 12:30 pm and 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm at (214) 670-8083.
Registered Food Service Manager
Each food establishment (fixed) is required to have an on-site Registered Food Service Manager. The Registered Food Service Manager class is offered at various locations throughout the state. A list of those locations may be obtained either by calling the Restaurant and Bar Inspection Division at (214) 670-8083, or visiting the office at 7901 Goforth Rd, between 8:00 A.M. to 12:30 P.M. and 1:00 P.M. to 4:30 P.M.
A list of the locations may be obtained here: TDH Course Registry of the Food Protection Management Training Programs.
Home preparation of food for public consumption is prohibited. All food that is to be consumed by the public, whether free or for sale, must be prepared at a commercial establishment that is inspected by a federal, state or local health authority.
Roadside/Parking Lot Sales
Vending on public property is prohibited except in the downtown Central Business District. Anyone selling goods (flowers, purses, shoes, etc.) on parking lots or along roadsides is doing so illegally. This type of activity is regulated by the Department of Code Compliance. For additional information on vending, visit our web page or contact the Department of Code Compliance, Restaurant and Bar Inspection Division, between
8:00 A.M. to 12:30 P.M. and 1:00 P.M. to 4:30 P.M. at (214) 670-8083.
Note: You may contact the City Of Dallas Restaurant and Bar Inspection Division directly by phone for information or concerns regarding any food establishment or food safety related issues at (214) 670-8083 or fax (214) 670-8330.